Wednesday, February 23, 2005

More time on the couch

I figured it was about time to sign up for Netflix.

"But Nick," you say. "Why should I give a shit?"

Well, good point. You didn't have to resort to that kind of language, but I see where you're coming from. Anyway, the reason I'll probably be indentured to Netflix long after I have any of my own teeth is their whole "queue" system. You only get to keep 3 discs at a time, but you can queue up as many as 500. And once you have stuff in the queue, you can reorder it any way you want. I think this is a really good way to induce OCD. I definitely want the first disc of The Wire right away, but do I want the second disc at the same time? Should I move the second disc down in the queue so it only arrives after I've mailed back the first one? What if it's so good that I watch the entire season in a weekend? What if it's really good, but I still want some movies to watch in between so I don't get oversaturated with gritty Baltimore crime stories? No matter how much I change it, that queue is just going to sit there, mocking me. "Look at zee rideeculous order of feelms thees eediot hass chozen!", the queue screams. (Like most web pages, the queue is voiced by the Taunting French Guard from The Holy Grail.)

Well, piss off, queue. I'll deal with you later.

2 comments:

Myasorubka said...

hahahhahaha.....I don't know anyone else who has such a torrid love affair with their NetFlix queue. You need a hobby.

Nick said...

It's only been a few hours. We're still in the honeymoon phase. I expect the mind games and going to bed at different times to start very soon.