Monday, June 13, 2005

27 is just 72 backwards

And that's the best title I can come up with. Nonetheless, that's how old I am (the first number), not the second (yet) and I guess it's how old I feel, if it's possible to detect the chronological nuance between mid-20's and late-20's, and I don't think it is.

Well, that was a boring fucking first paragraph. I guess I am getting older. Anyway, to begin with, on Saturday I made the aforementioned trip to Vidal Sassoon, which is definitely a trip in more than one sense. I'm not used to being asked if I want something to drink, or, really to being afforded any courtesies other than old copies of W magazine. By the way, to settle the issue of stylist Yuka's identity -- she's a girl, and Japanese. And I'm not sure, but I think she might be a backup singer for the 5, 6, 7, 8's (but younger and punkier).

Yuka sat me down, pawed through my hair and we discussed what to do with it. It was a lot different than when homeless people paw through my hair looking for change. Less dirt under her fingernails, for one thing. Then she sent me over to get shampooed, and I wasn't really keeping track but I think that part alone took longer than one of my typical "snip, snip, pay, bye" cuts. After the shampoo girl had done her magic (and this is a family blog, so I'd rather not get into just how "magical" it felt, even though I guess I already have), Yuka busted out the scissors and went to town. It was a little Edward Scissorhands-ish, the way the bits of hair were cascading down my forehead and nose. Also kind of made me feel like sneezing. Eventually she finished and did the styling part, using some fancy grey clay stuff that she had no trouble convincing me to buy before I left. After that, she sent me back to the shampoo girl yet again (I didn't request that, I swear) to wash out the grey stuff so she could make some final adjustments.

Somehow, the whole process only took about 90 minutes. I'm happy with it, it's different from the Blandy McBland cuts I've had lately, and I'll do my best to enjoy it while it lasts, since I'm not in the economic bracket who can afford this kind of thing on a regular basis.

More on the birthday later.

No comments: