Friday, September 16, 2005

315? Make it a 370

This morning, as I sat in my metaphorical Starbucks hospital bed with the caffeine IV tube comfortably affixed to my arm, I decided to crank the dosage up one notch -- three shots instead of two. It doesn't make a huge difference financially (55 cents extra) and I figured, hey, maybe it'll make the buzz a little more fun.

Yeah, a "little" more fun. In the same way that Katrina was a little rainstorm.

Seriously, this was like five hours ago. And it still feels like it just kicked in. Even when I was singing the praises of the morning iced latte a few weeks back, and thinking there was no way a line of the best coke in L.A. could outdo the rush, I was still coming down by 1:30 or so and needing a Diet Pepsi to avoid crashing. Well, not today. I honestly think there's a decent chance this will never wear off. The Starbucks girls may have inadvertently put some kind of special creation in my drink, like the caffeine equivalent of an Everlasting Gobstopper... something they were trying to keep under wraps because, while brilliantly effective, it would ultimately mean the end of repeat customership. Yeah, that's probably it.

Anyway, I also went over to Whole Foods today to browse their salt. Yeah, you read that right. I was looking for grey salt -- which according to Google, is "moist and unrefined" and "considered by many to be the best quality salt available." What could one do with this salt that wouldn't be possible with other salts? I'm not exactly sure yet. But cooking is all about experimentation, and apparently it's also about spending $3.29 on a dinky little spice-rack-sized bottle of salt.

3 comments:

Eti said...

Good bottle of Patron - $30.00
Little Bottle of Gray Salt - $ 3.29
Bag of Limes - $ 3.00

Licking salt off someone's arm...

Priceless.

Skerlie Bee said...

Ok SERIOUSLY Eti, where can you buy a $30 bottle of Patron that's FULL SIZED? That's the price for the BABY Patron bottle. (Although full size is $37 at costco...)
And if it IS $30 bucks full sized, you GOTTA tell me where I can get one!

Eti said...

What people don't realize is that I'm more of a conceptual commentator than anything else.

Does everything I say have to be taken so literally? And if so, then "the power of Eti compells you to buy me a $37.00 bottle of Patron and lick salt off my collarbone before doing shots!"